What are the tests for gastroesophageal reflux disease?

Dr. Rafael Lugo
Surgery

In brief: Testing

I believe that symptoms are a good blue to gerd but i think that egd, and posibly oh probe are the best way to characterize the degree of reflux and severity of damages.
I would add to that an UGI and gastric emptying. The symptoms of gerd can be due to several conditions. If one just uses symptoms as the diagnostic tool, i would not treat medically for longer than 4 weeks. It can be serious.

In brief: Testing

Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Garland Yarborough
For severe reflux endoscopy is the best test to perform
Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Sx & response to Rx

Most commonly diagnosed by clinical history with typical symptoms and relief with medication.
Endoscopy and ph monitoring may aid in the diagnosis but are by no means necessary.

In brief: Sx & response to Rx

Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Surgery

In brief: Several

Upper endoscopy, upper GI and manometry.
Bravo probe if not clear cut symptoms and findings on egd.

In brief: Several

Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Clinical history

Symptoms with a repose to treatment is way most people are diagnose with gerd.
If there are questions about the diagnosis invasive testing such as endoscopy, hr-mano, ph can be considered.

In brief: Clinical history

Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming