Had a Nephrostomy tube placed. I am now having blood in the tube here and there. It's not a lot. Is that normal?

Dr. James Krick
Urology

In brief: Common

it is not uncommon to have blood from the nephrostomy tube especially in the first few days after it's placed.
pink urine or intermittent bloody urine is probably not a problem. Bright red blood that is persistent should however, be reported to your urologist

In brief: Common

Dr. James Krick
Dr. James Krick
Dr. Patrick Kohlitz

In brief: Depends

Every nephrostomy tube is placed for a different reason but generally a small amount of blood or pink discolouration is no cause for worry.
Call your doctor if you have persistent bloody drainage.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Patrick Kohlitz
Dr. Patrick Kohlitz

In brief: No,not normal.

Depends on amount, but blood might clot and block the nephrostomy tube.
Contact your urologist at once for advice.

In brief: No,not normal.

Dr. Robert Uyeda
Dr. Robert Uyeda
Dr. James Lin
Urology

In brief: Here are some ...

What reported could be the normally expected appearance inside the draining tube as long as feeling comfortable.
Meanwhile, asking your treating urologist would be more timely pertinent & fruitful than online inquiry because she/he knew more what has happened during and from the procedures than anyone else. So, I wish you well to the best in the final outcome of care.

In brief: Here are some ...

Dr. James Lin
Dr. James Lin
Dr. Andrea Brand