My l4-l5 and S1 are bulging. The pain radiates down my legs and is brutal. I now stand crooked due to it. What can I do to help without using narcotic?

Dr. Linda Tao
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Physical Therapy

You should seek the help of a good physical therapist or chiropractor. Warm baths can also help since this can help to relieve any superimposed muscle spasm that is further irritating the nerves affected by the bulging disc.
Over the counter analgesics can help providing your stomach and kidneys are ok. There are also prescription lidocaine patches and anti-inflammatory patches that can help.

In brief: Physical Therapy

In brief: Although it won't

correct bulging disks - acupuncture can be very helpful for improving range of motion & decreasing pain and inflammation.
Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon?

In brief: Although it won't

Thanks for the feedback- I support that decision. Take care.
Dr. John Munshower

In brief: See dr.

Let your dr. know you prefer not to simply take narcotic pain meds-which is a good request.
Possibly a steroid taper can help reduce pain and inflammation. Physical therapy (all different modalities: massage, deep heat ultrasound, traction, aquatherapy, etc may help, possibly an epidural injection may help. non narcotic nsaids may help. Follow-up for a good discussion with your doctor.

In brief: See dr.

Dr. Vikram Patel