My doctor is running tests for toxemia but my blood pressure isn't always high..Could I still have it?

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Sure!
Toxemia is an older term for preeclampsia - pregnancy-related hypertension that can lead to convulsions (eclampsia), acute liver or kidney failure, placental abruption, pulmonary edema or stroke.
In order to meet the criteria for diagnosis your blood pressure does not have to be consistently increased - two episodes >140/90 mmhg at least 6 hours apart suffice (along with proteinuria).

In brief: Sure!
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Joseph Schifilliti
This is a disease with varied presentations.
Although there is a classic list of symptoms and findings they can vary from patient to patient.

Dr. Joseph Schifilliti
Dr. Joseph Schifilliti
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology