What are tests for ulcerative colitis?

Ulcerative colitis. Ulcerative colitis can be relatively easy to diagnose because it normally affects only the colon and rectum and usually causes an obvious change in daily bowel habits, such as frequent stools containing blood or mucus. Your doctor will conduct a medical history and physical exam before doing other tests.
Colonoscopy. The single most effective test to make a diagnosis or evaluate the severity of UC is a colonoscopy with biopsy. No blood test or XR is reliable to make the diagnosis or give the information that a colonoscopy will give you.