How to do a test for scoliosis myself?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Self inspection
An X-ray is the most definitive way to test for scoliosis.
The examine findings one can see through self inspection can include one shoulder being elevated compared to the other, an obliquity of the pelvis, or an asymmetry in the trunk. If there are any concerns, I would not hesitate to be seen.

In brief: Self inspection
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Keith Baldwin
Orthopedic Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Scoliometer
There is an app on the iphone that is a scoliometer. You can do a forward bend test in which someone places the phone on you back in the middle, and you lean forward.
If the scoliometer reads greater than 7 degrees you may have scoliosis. However, most often scoliosis which requires treatment, you dont have to ask if you have. Scoliosis in adults that is mild is well tolerated.

In brief: Scoliometer
Dr. Keith Baldwin
Dr. Keith Baldwin
Dr. Greg Khounganian
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Forward bend test
A forward bend adam's test is a easy screening tool we use to evaluate scoliosis without x-rays.
You must have someone observe while you do it. First stand straight and slowly bend forward to touch your toes while keeping your knees straight. An observer stands behind you and looks for one side of the back that may develop a bump as you bend forward. However, x-rays are needed for better eval.

In brief: Forward bend test
Dr. Greg Khounganian
Dr. Greg Khounganian
Dr. Steven Seres