Question about macular degeneration? Going to annual exam. Should I ask for tests for it?

See below. Ask your eye doctor to check for macular degeneration. If you have it or if you want to be more certain whether you have it, see a retina specialist.
Eye exam. A thorough eye exam—especially if done by an ophthalmologist— will undoubtedly test for macular degeneration. Express your concerns to the doctor so (s)he will be certain to tell you the findings. Let the doc know if there's family history of md or if you're have symptoms. If seeing an optometrist, be certain to ask to be checked, although most good ones automatically test for it, too.