Hospitalist thot I had mi. After all the different tests for heart attack have come back, no mi. How could they be negative?

Working hypothesis. Sounds like the hospital felt your symptoms were suspicious but if the blood samples and ekgs are negative, mi is ruled out with confidence. Other explanations for your symptoms should be sought.
Worst case. The management of a hospitalized patient is based on developing a list of potential diagnoses based on presenting signs and symptoms. The first task, then, is generally to quickly address the worst case scenario. So for a patient who presents with chest pain, for example, the worst case scenario could be a heart attack. Once that’s ruled out, other diagnoses can be entertained.