Can skin prick testing for food allergies be 100% reliable?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Nothing is perfect

No test is 100% reliable - neither skin testing nor blood testing.
That's why allergists try to order relevant tests selected based on a comprehensive medical history and physical examination. The results must be interpreted & used as clues to a solution. They're not an answer in themselves. I'm frequently called by doctors who order allergy tests & then want me interpret them over the phone.

In brief: Nothing is perfect

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Andrew Murphy

In brief: History

Food allergy diagnosis is very dependent upon the clinical history and is supported by appropriate skin and / or blood testing for food allergy.
Food allergy testing, in general, runs very high false positives, up to 40-60%, so random food test are not helpful.

In brief: History

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Brian Novick

In brief: No

No test is 100% reliable but depending on the history of your reaction, a negative skin test can be reassuring.
..And a "strongly" positive skin test reaction is usually diagnostic.

In brief: No

Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Brian Novick