I sprained my ankle in dance class; do I need a brace?

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: Helpful

If you've sprained the ankle in dance and no other injury to ligaments and bones has occurred, a brace is a good idea to control ankle motion and prevent reinjury during the healing phase.

In brief: Helpful

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Kenneth Adler

In brief: Maybe

An ankle sprain represents damage to the ligaments in the ankle.
This is typically due to overstretching the ligament and typically is on the outside of the ankle. Sprains can vary from mild (heal in a couple of weeks) to severe (require surgery.) you should not walk on a sprain until you can do so without pain. In the meantime, use an ACE or aircast and crutches. See a dr if you aren't healing.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Kenneth Adler
Dr. Kenneth Adler
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Have it evaluated.

R.I.C.E. Rest, ice, compression, elevation may help for an acute injury.
Oral anti-inflammatory medication may help with the pain and swelling. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the diagnosis and treatment.

In brief: Have it evaluated.

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine