Will a dental hygienist know if you have gingivitis or periodontal disease?

May know. but diagnosis is estabilished by the Dentist or your doctor.
They might. Ultimately, the diagnosis and treatment will be the dentist's responsibility.
I agree with others. hygienist have enough information to know about gingivityis but they will confirm with doctor about problem normally gum around the teeth is red and some case blides with brushing but bliding and inflammation aroynd the gum can be periodontal problem.
Only by probing. the only way to know if you have periodontal disease is to measure the space between the gum and the tooth (by probing). You can also diagnose it off x rays, but by the time it shows up on an x ray, it is too late to do anything about it.