How does the eye doctor test for cataracts?

Visual inspection. Usually the eye doctor looks at the lens to determine the presence or absence of a cataract. He or she then determines whether or not the cataract is affecting your vision.
Slitlamp diated exam. The eyeMD can see a cataract at the microscope (slit lamp) especially when pt is dilated. Evaluating pt's vision, glare testing, and being sure all other layers of eye are normal, helps the MD determine if the cataract is the cause of the decreased vision.
Cataracts. An eye exam by an ophthalmologist will detect whether cataracts are present. The eye doctor will use the slit lamp to look at the eyes under magnification to detect cataracts.