Why is CF called "cystic" and "fibrosis"?

Old Days. Back in the "old days, " patients with CF would frequently die, and the autopsy findings of the lungs showed scarring ("fibrosis") and bubbles ("cysts, " "cystic"). Thus, it was called cystic fibrosis. We know much more now about this disease, but the old name stuck.
History of the Dz. Back when infants were dying from an unknown disease, autopsies showed pathologic changes in the pancreases (pancrelipase) of these children. The description of the pathological tissue was that of showing "cystic" changes with subsequent "fibrosis" of the tissue, and thus the name stuck. The term "cystic fibrosis" describes the changes that occur to various organs as a result of the disease.