How will I know when to feed my baby?

Dr. Nanette Nuessle

In brief: Facial Gestures

Hungry babies make faces.
They scrunch up their noses or raise their eyebrows or move their mouths in various ways. They don't cry until they are famished. Please, don't wait until your baby is crying to offer breastmilk or formula. You will have a happier baby and fewer problems with vomiting or reflux.

In brief: Facial Gestures

Hungry babies make faces.
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Jessica Davis

In brief: Learn their Cues

Ignore the clock, pay attention to your baby! learn to respond early.
Early signs of hunger include smacking lips, opening/closing mouth, sucking on lips, tongue, hands... Active signs include rooting (turning head to side and trying to suck), trying to find a position to nurse in, fidgeting, hitting, fussing...Late signs include head thrashing, crying.

In brief: Learn their Cues

Dr. Jessica Davis
Dr. Jessica Davis
Dr. Jonathan Jassey

In brief: Time/appetite

I find when either the baby doesn't last their usual length of time b/t feeds or if they are polishing off their bottle, then it is time to up the amount per feed.

In brief: Time/appetite

Dr. Jonathan Jassey
Dr. Jonathan Jassey