Can Pilates help with my herniated disc pain?

Dr. Patrick Roth
Neurosurgery
Pilates focuses on the transversalis muscle (among others) to stabilize the spine.
It can be helpful by reducing muscle spasm, correcting postural imbalances, and reducing anxiety. In my opinion, studies looking at pilates as the only treatment have been disappointing. It is best used in conjunction with strengthening of the back muscles and depending on the disc configuration, mckensie pt.

Dr. Patrick Roth
Dr. Patrick Roth
Dr. Roger Frankel
Neurosurgery
Pilates can help in stabilizing the core muscles of the trunk including abdominals, oblques and back muscles.
Make sure to let your instructor know about your back problems so that appropriate modifications can be made.

Dr. Roger Frankel
Dr. Roger Frankel
Dr. Ron Jones
If not contraindicated for your condition, most low or no impact exercises are good for back pain of about any cause.
Pilates "mind-over-muscle" is a relatively low impact conditioning exercise program. Most folks with herniated discs will be able to work in most of the phases of the exercises, some may not. But generally the answer would be yes. Dr j.

Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Ron Jones