I have gout; can I still walk for exercise?

Dr. James Leaming
Emergency Medicine
One of the best ways to prevent the recurrence of gout is to exercise.
Aside from helping you stay in shape and maintaining a healthy body weight, exercise provides your body with many benefits. All of the exercise benefits listed above help to prevent the recurrence of gout. This is because regular exercise combined with a healthy controlled diet, helps to lower and control uric acid levels.

Dr. James Leaming
Dr. James Leaming
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Of course. Gout does not prevent you from doing activities such as walking.
However, if you have an acute flare-up with a red, swollen toe, for example, the pain may limit you - in that case, taking certain medications for gout and pain medications as recommended by your doctor should help.

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine