My strong acne medication is causing serious skin peeling on face. Is this normal?

Dryness with meds. Applying an oil free hypoallergenic moisturizer after each cleansing and medication application can help prevent excessive dryness when using facial medications. Some people find that they need to start using medications slowly (skipping days) in the beginning while your skin is adapting to the formulation.
Yes. You fail to name this "strong" medication. Tretinoin?? Consult your dermatologist. There are many acne preps at different strengths. They are tricky to use and require expert advise & supervision. They may fail because patients do not know how to use them or what to expect.