My recent semen culture shows staph aureus mssa. I was put on ciprofloxin 500. Will this treat my infection?

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Not ideal

Cipro is not something I like to use for treating MSSA (Methicillin Sensitive Staph Aureus).
That is a bad germ. The problem is the prostate has a capsule around it, so not every antibiotic can get in there to kill the germs. I wonder why your doc didn't use Bactrim which would kill the MSSA more efficiently. Bactrim gets into the prostate very well. It's a sulfa drug though - in case of allergy.

In brief: Not ideal

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. Stephen Scholand