Is there one simple test for fibromyalgia?

Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

In brief: No

? Whether is a test for fibromyalgia (FM).
The answer is "no". The disorder is one of exclusion of other disorders with a similar symptom profile. Are some imaging studies (fMRI), blood, & physiological tests purporting to demonstrate changes seemingly correlate with FM, but they are not yet definitive. The best diagnostic instrument is doctor who believes in reality of FM & who has seen many.

In brief: No

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
At Quora.com, under my name, and on my Pain Syndrome board of posts, I offer 100 essays devoted to the cause and treatment of Fibromyalgia.  At Healthtap.com, I have answered dozens of questions about these subjects, and which can probably be accessed. 
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: No

There are no tests for fibromyalgia.
Sometimes we will run tests to determine if other conditions that can look like fibromyalgia are present.

In brief: No

There are no tests for fibromyalgia.
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Michele Arnold
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Hands-on

Not a blood test, imaging (x-ray, mri) test, or procedure (biopsy, EMG test).
The test for fibromyalgia is the history and physical exam of a skilled physician who knows the diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia. That exam includes palpation of the defined 'tender points' of fibromyalgia--you must have at least 11 of 18. You must also meet the other diagnostic criteria to have fibromyalgia.

In brief: Hands-on

Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Fibromyalgia

Have a full workup from your general care practitioner to determine if fibromyalgia is the correct diagnosis.
If so, pain management, preferably with as few pills as possible is of utmost importance. Here is the website of the American Academy of Pain Management: http://www.aapainmanage.org/

In brief: Fibromyalgia

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry