At what age should I start getting tested for colon cancer? My granddad died from it in his 40s.

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Depends

If your parents have been checked ( the one related to the grand parent) for polyps or colon cancer.
It is first degree relatives that pose an increased risk for you. So ask you parents if the had a colonoscopy and if they had polyps. If they haven't they need to get one for their sake and yours. If the parent had polyps/cancer take 15 years off the age they were diagnosed for you to start having.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Pathology

In brief: Consult your MD

The usual recommendation is to have a screening colonoscopy at age 50, but with a stong family history, screening may be started at age 40.

In brief: Consult your MD