I have gout; does this mean I can't eat chocolate?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
In brief: No
With gout, you should follow a low purine diet.
Google a gout diet. As with most anything, one has to moderate what is eaten. Chocolate in small or moderate amounts, all things being equal, can be eaten. This will depend on how severely you have gout, whether you are on gout medications and other factors. I'll bet you will do fine with small rewards.

In brief: No
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: You can eat chocolate
Most of the time dietary controls are not used to treat gout.
You need to have a comprehensive program developed for you. Compliance to this program is the most important part of your therapy. Enjoy your chocolate.

In brief: You can eat chocolate
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. William Forsythe