Can anyone tell me about a drug called novantrone? Is it for ms?

In brief: Avoid it

I have NOT used it for MS literally for years, as it can cause a vacuolar cardiomyopathy, and acute myelocytic leukemia.
It is approved by FDA for secondary progressive MS, and is the sole drug approved for this indication, but as noted, is highly risky. Not convinced that it ever helped any of my patients with SPMS. Would find alternative treatments if this choice is presented.

In brief: Avoid it

Dr. Gael Yonnet
Neurology

In brief: See answer below

Novantrone is used in patients with both relapsing-remitting and secondary progressive ms.
It is a second line agent, after other agents failed to benefit the patient. It reduces the frequency of relapses and delays disease progression. Routine echocardiograms need to be obtained prior to each infusion. Infusions are administered every 3 months and limited to 8-9 infusions per lifetime.

In brief: See answer below

Dr. Gael Yonnet
Dr. Gael Yonnet
Dr. Eric Weisman