Can elevation help with carpal tunnel syndrome pain?

Dr. Steven Arbit
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Not usually
Try a cock up wrist splint that can be found in most pharmacies without a prescription.

In brief: Not usually
Dr. Steven Arbit
Dr. Steven Arbit
Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: No
Pressure in the carpal tunnel causes the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome because of compression of the median nerve.
Pressure is minimal with the wrist in a neutral (straight) position, so a neutral wrist splint is the best for this condition. If you have a great deal of swelling in your hands, though, elevation may help.

In brief: No
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Ron Jones
But I am speaking of elevation of the wrist from a normal position to an extended position of the hand.
Wear cockup wrist splints at night to let the "nerve" rest and take some of the restriction and compression off. It is doubtful that elevation of the entire extremity will do you any good. Dr. J.

Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Ron Jones