What are some of the symptoms of polio?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Flu-like symptoms of

sore throat, fever, nausea & vomiting in some, but infection with any serotype of poliovirus may not cause any symptoms in an immune-competent person.
If the virus causes meningitis, add headache, stiff/sore neck & back & lethargy & risk of paralysis of the legs & other muscles including the diaphragm. I've seen kids die of poliomyelitis & other vaccine-preventable illnesses. I may see it again.

In brief: Flu-like symptoms of

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: None to Paralysis

Most people who get infected with Polo72% will have no symptoms and will recover completely 1 in 4 may have fever,sore throat,headche and nausea which may last for 2to5 days Smaler portion will have very serious symptoms due to involvement of Brain and Spinal cord causing Pins and needles in legs Meningitis in 1in25 Paralysis in arms and legs or both occurs 1 in 200,can lead to disability or death

In brief: None to Paralysis