Any advice for podiatric students who are soon to be starting a practice?

Dr. David Tobin
Podiatry

In brief: Peers

Feel free to talk to other podiatrists in your area.
Most would be pleased to give you advise. As a group we are non-competitive. You can call me if you would like for general questions, I'm in Raleigh NC.

In brief: Peers

Dr. David Tobin
Dr. David Tobin
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Find a nitch

Find an area that you enjoy an be the best at it.

In brief: Find a nitch

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat

In brief: See below

Make sure you spend time in the front offices of doctors you visit to get practice management tips, join aappm the are a great resource for help in practice.
Make sure you have an attorney review any employment contract you are considering.

In brief: See below

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: Podiatry

Generally graduates from podiatric medical school enter into a two or three year surgical residency (the trend is going to three years).
The most important this for this transition is to learn all that you can and treat every patient as if they were your own family, as this sort of empathy will help you transition to practice after residency.

In brief: Podiatry

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Trevor Neal
Podiatry

In brief: Proceed cautiously

The resources necessary to start a practice are astronomical.
My recommendation is to work for a doc for a couple years and try to find a practice to purchase. Ideally work for a doc that will eventually allow you to become a partner or buy him/her out.

In brief: Proceed cautiously

Dr. Trevor Neal
Dr. Trevor Neal
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry

In brief: Ask the old guys

Talk to other podiatric physicians in the area you are looking to practice.
Most will be helpful and give you good advice. Dr l.

In brief: Ask the old guys

Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha

In brief: Pick a location

That is not saturated with other podiatrists.
Start simple and keep your overhead low. All you really need are your mind, instruments, and patients. Don't ignore house calls. There is always a need and there is virtually no overhead outside of car maintainence.

In brief: Pick a location

Dr. Richard Taddeo
Dr. Richard Taddeo
Dr. Vicken Poochikian