I have swelling in my shoulder. Is this bursitis?

Dr. James Bicos
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Probably not
Bursitis is inflammation of the bursal sac between the acromion and rotator cuff.
There is rarely enough inflammation to cause swelling. The biceps tendon, which goes along the front of the shoulder can get swollen. Other causes could be a cyst or something called a lipoma. I would see a shoulder specialist.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. James Bicos
Dr. James Bicos
Dr. Latisha Smith
Wound care
In brief: Possibly yes
Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursa, a fluid filled sac at the top of the humerus.
If the inflammation is severe there may be swelling. Most often bursitis causes pain without much swelling. Some other causes of swelling in the shoulder are tendonitis, arthritis, joint infection and ligament tears.

In brief: Possibly yes
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine