Why would celiacs disease cause Raynaud's phenomenon?

Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: Uncertain, but

It is known that celiac dz is associated w autoimmune diseases (antibodies against one's own tissues, eg diabetes-I).
A letter in the Scandinavian Journal of Rheum in 2010 reported evidence of scleroderma-like activity in celiac disease. Raynaud's is found in cases of scleroderma, an auto-immune disease that causes scarring that can impede blood flow to fingers. 2010, Vol. 39, No. 5 , Pages 438-43

In brief: Uncertain, but

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Le Wang

In brief: Auto-immune

The direct evidence for causal relationship between celiac disease and Raynaud is lacking or we don't know.
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease. Secondary Raynauds is also an autoimmune condition. A person with Raynaud’s is thus more likely to have celiac disease than that in the general population by a poorly defined immune mechanism.

In brief: Auto-immune

Dr. Le Wang
Dr. Le Wang
Dr. Marsha Davis