If I scratch shingles and then touch my mouth, could it cause severe tongue swelling?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

In brief: No

By definition, if it is shingles it is a viral outbreak in someone who has had the disease before and their immunity has slightly lapsed.
If it is shingles, there is no risk of generalized viral outbreak all over UNLESS it isn't YOUR shingles but you're taking viral exudate from someone else's lesions. In which case you have several severe problems.

In brief: No

Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. Gary Tuma
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not likely

shingles is zoster from having had the chicken pox.
It is not transferred like that. If you put some kind of topical medicine on the sores you may have transferred the medicine and have had a reaction to that med.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Gary Tuma
Dr. Gary Tuma
Dr. Vikram Patel