Is it safe to take gravol, dramamine (dimenhydrinate) to help sleep?

Not recommended. Gravol is a combination of diphenhydramine, a sedating antihistamine, and chlorotheophylline, a mild stimulant, which is added to counteract the sleep-inducing effects and allow use during the day as an anti-nausea treatment. Because of this, it's not very effective for insomnia, and may actually have the opposite effect, disturbing sleep later in the night.
Confused? Dramamine is the over the counter med for motion sickness. Diphenhydramine or Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is what is in all rh over the counter sleep meds. It might put you to sleep but destroys normal sleep architecture and even after sleeping 9 hoursyouight awaken as though you hardly slept and feel groggy. Sometimes it backfires and keeps older people awake too.