What is the difference between dental caries and tooth decay?

They are the same. Caries and cavities are different names for the same problem.
They are the same. Dental caries and dental decay describe the complex reaction of dental bacteria on teeth that results in the localized acid erosion and destruction of tooth enamel.
Same thing. It is the same thing. Merely, two different terms we use to describe the same process.
Synonyms. A definition of dental caries can include the term tooth decay or a cavity... They are the different words for the same thing. Cavities, tooth decay and dental caries are all words to describe what happens when bacteria invades and erodes dental enamel.
They are the same . Dental caries is what is commonly referred to as dental decay. They are one in the same.