Red spots on the roof of my mouth (hard palate) and tender to touch. It feels smooth and swollen where the spots are.

See your dentist. Red spots on the roof of the mouth may be due to many reasons like bacterial infection, viral infection, vitamin deficiencies or allergies. Gargle with warm salt water 3 X per day to help reduce swelling and relieve discomfort. However, if the symptoms persist more than 7-10 days please visit your dentist.
Usually viral. While a number of things can cause such symptoms, the most likely cause would be a viral infection. Strep might be a consideration, as well. Check in with your doctor to be sure.