Does Pilates or yoga reduce your risk for arthritis?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: See below

I do not believe that study has ever been done.
However, there are studies that show advantages of both forms of movement and exercise for people with arthritis. Both can cause damage if done incorrectly or without regard to joint protection. Need to work with good instructors who always put safety first.

In brief: See below

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Latisha Smith
Wound care

In brief: No

Arthritis is a genetic condition.
It does not happen because of something anyone does or doesn't do. If it is in your genetic make up to develop arthritis then there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Pilates, yoga and just about any type of exercise program will help you live better with your arthritis if you develop it. What exercise is best for you is something your doctor can help determine.

In brief: No

Arthritis is a genetic condition.
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Latisha Smith