What is the best way to prevent a STD or the HIV virus while being sexually active?

Condoms. Use condoms EVERY TIME you have sex. Have them available so you won't forget. Use them correctly. Have yourself and your partner tested for STDs on a regular basis. Use another method of birth control as well if you are not interested in being a parent at this time. Condoms are good for STD protection; not so great for birth control. Get the HPV vaccine to protect you and your partner.
BestWayHighwayOfLove. The 'best' is not perfect (100%) but pretty good: spermicidal jelly plus a condom. It really helps to know and trust your partner. To know a little about their habits, their past, etc. If you are using adequate protection the chances for a complication increase with every sexual partner and even more the less you know about them. The best way to optimize sexual pleasure is to feel comfortable.