I went to the orthodontist to get my braces tightened and now my cheek hurts?

Dr. Louis Sterling
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Return to DDS

You may have a wire poking you in the cheek.
Either place some wax against the sharp area or get back to your orthodontist (or both!).

In brief: Return to DDS

Dr. Louis Sterling
Dr. Louis Sterling
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Wait/wax

Sometimes an adjustment may cause some brief irritation of the tissue inside your mouth.
This is typically very temporary and goes away in a day or two. In the meantime, you can use some dental wax to create a buffer between the bracket and your cheek, although its a good idea to allow the cheek to get used to the rubbing of the bracket. If it persists for more than a few days, contact your ort

In brief: Wait/wax

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Multiple

Soreness can be from tissue manipulation, small piece of wire sticking out, irritation from braces "sticking out", bumping the area, or tooth movement.
Try Ibuprofen and salt water rinses. Soreness should disappear in just a few days. If not, call your orthodontist. Orthodontists are there to help, and welcome inquiries.

In brief: Multiple

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: Muscle soreness

By cheek pain I am thinking you mean internal pain.
If this is the case, tightening braces can cause bite or jaw positioning changes that can cause muscle fatigue and pain in the muscles in this a rea.

In brief: Muscle soreness

Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Call orthodontist

First, give a call to your orthodontist for recommendations.
Beginning warm salt rinses can help to relief some of the initial discomfort. Depending upon the procedures that were accomplished, the orthodontist will provide other suggestions to you.

In brief: Call orthodontist

Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. Shawn Murray
Dentistry

In brief: Pokey wire

It may be due to a long wire that is rubbing your cheek.
Call your orthodontist and have it checked.

In brief: Pokey wire

Dr. Shawn Murray
Dr. Shawn Murray