My Eustachian tube is completely blocked, and the valsalva technique does not work. I have to fly in two days -what are the consequences of flying?

Dr. Anifat Balogun
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Flying & ET blockage

If you are not able to equalize pressure across your middle ear during your plane ride, you could end up with ear pain or fluid or blood accumulation in your middle ear. Check with your primary provider or ENT specialist regarding treatments you can use to allow for a comfortable flight.

In brief: Flying & ET blockage

Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Georgia Latham

In brief: Pain

It may be very painful to fly with your Eustachian tube(s) blocked.
Try Flonase nasal spray (now sold over-the-counter). Use 2 sprays in each nostril twice a day and again right before your flight. Next time, start using the Flonase 7-10 days before a scheduled flight.

In brief: Pain

Dr. Georgia Latham
Dr. Georgia Latham
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine