Can mirena (levonorgestrel) be used to treat menorrhagia in patient with history of DVT? Provided that no pathology found and patient didn't respond to nin hormonal R/

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

That would be the ideal situation for this type of IUD.
One should expect breakthrough bleeding for three weeks to three months after the Mirena (levonorgestrel) is placed, but that should eventually resolve.

Dr. Cynthia Archer

In brief: Possibly

I believed that depends upon the setting in which the DVT occurred.
If there was no underlying hypercoagulable state and there has been a complete hematology analysis, then it's likely safe. On the other hand, if you don't plan more children you may want to discuss endometrial ablation with your GYN. Assuming your uterus is normal, endometrial biopsy was normal and pelvic US was also normal.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Adam Levy