What is a brat diet?

Dr. Jason Adler
Pediatrics - Critical Care
In brief: BRAT diet
Brat (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) diet has historically been prescribed for a diarrheal illness or upset stomach, often by pediatricians for children.
Current recommendations from the american academy of pediatrics call for restoration of a normal diet within 24 hours of being sick, if this can be tolerated.

In brief: BRAT diet
Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Bryan Levey
In brief: BRAT diet is...
Bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.
It was originally proposed as a treatment for diarrhea, since these are binding foods; problem is, it doesn't work. It is, however, made up of all bland foods that are easy to digest; so I use it with someone who is getting over a stomach virus and still has a sensitive stomach. Add plain mashed potato and (not fried, no skin) white chicken to that list.

In brief: BRAT diet is...
Bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey