The skin around my toenail is very sore I had surgery about a year ago phenol was applied so it's not regrowing no callus what could it be?

It could be regrowth. It takes a toe nail about a year to grow, it could be you had a tiny spicule of nail regrowth. without seeing or feeling, it is possible. this can be a common reoccurrence 1-3% chance. Please go back to your doctor and let him Rexam, it is not at all unusual to have this happen after nail surgery. If it gets infected , red inflamed it is also important to have a professional look at it.