Is high cholesterol related to heart disase?

Yes. Cholesterol is one of the major risk factors for arteriosclerosis, which is building of plaques in the vessels, which could lead to heart disease or the dislodging of the plaque could cause Mycocardial infarction by blocking an artery that supplies the heart, or lead to embolism to the heart. Other risk factors include diabetics, HTN, age and smoking.
Yes. Cholesterol is one of the risk factors. Not everyone with high cholesterol gets heart disease and not everyone who has heart disease has high cholesterol. Please review the information at the site given below. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/resources/heart/heart-cholesterol-hbc-what-html.htm.
It is a risk factor. See: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/Cholesterol_UCM_001089_SubHomePage.jsp.