Is it ok to take both prednisone and arava (leflunomide) for ra?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
In brief: Again, ask specialis
You are being treated for a specific medical problem, with two meds that each have signifacant effects and side effects.
Certainly you ought not take any antninflammatory meds such as Aspirin or ibuprofen. Drink a lot of non-alcohol beverages, and call the treating physician to inform you have a headache, and follow his/her instructions.

In brief: Again, ask specialis
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Yes!
I have many pts. On both drugs, but i never use more than 5mg of prednisone.
I would use Methotrexate before Arava (leflunomide), but that combination has been used very successfully.

In brief: Yes!
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Agree with Dr Namey. There are a # that respond to Antiinflammatory drugs, of which prednisone (the oldest type, the gold standard, the least expensive). However the side effects are serious, mostly not for short term use, but for long term use and the higher the dose, the worse. So internists and rheumatolgists will often find effective drugs to add to the regimen of a chronic disease to lessen those side effects. An example , I have a pt with temporal arteritIs, a disorder where blindness can occur fast. When responded beautifully to Pres, but gat bad side effects. So with us of adding MTC once weekly, was able to lower and she is fine nor in Pres 5mg daily and 2,5 mg weekly. Extremely important to be followed CLOSELY when USf these drugs for one of these disordeRs.
Dr. Keegan Duchicela