I had hand surgery a week ago to repair gamers thumb. My nail cuticle is really sore. Is this normal? Or a cause for concern?

Check. The nail cuticle is not involved in the surgery you had but since you are "fresh post-op" only 1 week,it would be a good idea to check with your surgeon.
Perhaps. If there is tenderness, swelling or redness, it is a concern, particularly because of your diabetes. If it is more of a tingling or sensitivity, then it is probably from a small nerve at the incision and will probably get better over time. If you are concerned you should contact your surgeon. I.
Talk to your surgeon. You should really address this with your surgeon!!!