Opinions on axialif for lumbar fusion?

Dr. Ken Yonemura
Neurosurgery
In brief: AxiaLIF
The axialif procedure has many advantages for the right indication.
Although dr. Connolly emphasizes the potential for bowel injury, the risk is extremely low and is even safer in larger patients in which minimally invasive techniques are most helpful based on a larger fat pad between the spine and the rectum. New retractors also improve safety. I am very happy with my fusion rates.

In brief: AxiaLIF
Dr. Ken Yonemura
Dr. Ken Yonemura
Dr. Patrick Connolly
Neurosurgery
In brief: It's OK
I've done a few. It works ok.
The fusion still has to be backed up with posterior instrumentation. One major risk is a bowel injury. I never want to have to tell someone after a spinal procedure that "you'll only need a colostomy for six months." there are big fans out there. I don't think it works any better than a traditional alif or posterior fusion.

In brief: It's OK
I've done a few. It works ok.
Dr. Patrick Connolly
Dr. Patrick Connolly
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Overall, good
For any spinal surgery, it is absolutely critical to select the right surgery for.The right patient, and most people respond well to non operative care.
. All that being said, i think axial if is an exciting alternative for the properly selected patient. Thank you for your question.

In brief: Overall, good
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman