pros and cons of kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty for vertebral compression fracture?

Very good

Compression_fracture
If the patient is of sufficient age- such as greater than 50 although not all patients need to be this age, it is a minimally invasive way to treat a vertebral fracture with cement and have quick relief of pain. Of course, since I'm a conservative Dr., I like to let the compression fractures heal in a brace without being invasive. Let your pain be your guide.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Pain Fracture Vertebral fracture Compression fracture Vertebroplasty Braces Broken bone

answered:

Kyphoplasty

Forearm_fracture
Better control of cement placememt with kyphoplasty was developed to avoid leaks seen in vertebralplasty only con is cost to insurance the kyphon balloons are waY too expensive so insurance has looked for less expensive alternatives of course in luding the gov medicare kyphoplasty has an opportuniity to change the wedge to a block
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Insurance Medicare Compression fracture Fracture Vertebroplasty Broken bone