I have severe iron deficiency anemia, I can't take ferrous sulfate po bid due to constipation. What other oral iron agent can I take that?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Alternatives
Try what dr. Olson said- profe- and see if you could tolerate.
If not, intravenous iron infusion would be an option to treat your severe iron deficiency. Intravenous iron will by pass all the GI problems including constipation- so that would be a good option for you.

In brief: Alternatives
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Kevin Olson
In brief: Profe
Iron is hard for the body to absorb, so the left over causes constipation.
The rx iron profe is a protien coated iron that gets better absorption and causes much less constipation.

In brief: Profe
Dr. Kevin Olson
Dr. Kevin Olson
Dr. Phillip Frist
Dentistry
In brief: Add probiotics
I will not guarentee this will eliminate (no pun inteded) the problem. But a large (10 billion units) of probiotics to aid in improving the digestive flora may help the digestion and possibly aid the constipation problem. Probiotics are otc.
Gnc has a good brand but most drugstores will carry them.

In brief: Add probiotics
Dr. Phillip Frist
Dr. Phillip Frist
Dr. Shontae Buffington