My sister had her thyroid removed and it will take 2 weeks to receive the pathology report. Why does it take so long?

Dr. Thomas Ruma
Pathology

In brief: It doesn't

I'm the director of surgical pathology for a large system examining 35000 specimens a year. We report 95% of our cases in 24-48 hours.
If your case needed consultation at a large regional center such as the mayo clinic it may take one week.

In brief: It doesn't

Dr. Thomas Ruma
Dr. Thomas Ruma
Dr. Luis Villaplana

In brief: THE PATHOLOGIST NEED

To be certain all cells are properly tested, stained, analyzed and processed.
This is a tedious process and it needs to be performed flawlessly plus remember, he/she has a lot of other biopsies to report on...

In brief: THE PATHOLOGIST NEED

Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
David Miller

In brief: Busy lab

The pathology lab where her thyroid was sent has lots of samples to evaluate in the order in which they were received.
Each sample gets a thorough and careful evaluation. The tissue will be processed and mounted on a microscope slide, stained and examined. Then the report has to be written, reviewed and sent to her doc. This all takes time. Be patient. The answer will come.

In brief: Busy lab

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Marsha Davis