For the past 12 yrs I have dealt with bad discomfort in my neck. It is not painful more tight/crampy. Nothing shows up on xrays n mobic (meloxicam) hasnt helped?

Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Exercise

Strengthen the neck muscles and the upper back muscles, especially the ones in back.
Isometric exercise (using your hand for resistance) is good. Stretching can also be useful. Since you have had the discomfort so long, i suggest working with a physical therapist for awhile to see which exercises are most needed.

In brief: Exercise

Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Michael Bolesta
David Miller

In brief: Torticollis

What you are describing sounds like torticollis, which is a fancy word for a stiff neck.
I would suggest seeking out a local do who treats neck problems with osteopathic manipulation (omm). Omm seeks to improve function by restoring the proper structure to musculoskelatal units such as the neck. In many cases, omm is sufficient to provide excellent relief of symptoms.

In brief: Torticollis

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
David Miller
You're very welcome.
Dr. Vikram Patel