I am a 50 year old male and recently started walking to lose weight. During my walk my right foot at the ball just behind the toes starts to hurt. No?

In brief: Stress fracture
Sometimes when you start an exercise program such as walking or running, there's a chance of developing a stress fracture.
This needs to be evaluated by a podiatrist with x-rays and careful examination.

In brief: Stress fracture
Dr. Farshad Bathaee
Dr. Farshad Bathaee
In brief: Neuroma
You may be developing a neuroma, growth on the nerve etween the toes.
You may just have metatarsalgia, pain to the bones of the foot. Either way try ice, and a soft innersole. If persists, see a podiatrist.

In brief: Neuroma
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Christopher Dowd
In brief: Start slowly
I'd start by making sure you have properly fitting, supportive and appropriate walking shoes.
Next be sure you're easing into your walking gradually. If you're having pain already, take a short break from walking, rest/ice the area, and the ease back into it more slowly. If this isn't effective get checked out.

In brief: Start slowly
Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine