I smoke a 1/2 to a full pack a day.. I just found out I am pregnant. I heard not to do it cold turkey.What should I do to quit? How quick is to quick?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Cold turkey from

Tobacco is do-able, at least from the point of view of your safety and the unborn child's.
However, nicotine replacement therapy would be the best thing. I recommend a 14 mg patch to start, try for 3 weeks, then a 7 mg patch daily for 3 weeks and then use gum or lozenges only if you feel craving (2mg). Call 1-800-quitnow for a smoking cessation program in your area. Good luck in quitting/baby.

In brief: Cold turkey from

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Mary Vanko

In brief: Smoking

Just quit. The sooner the better. Cold turkey is great.

In brief: Smoking

Dr. Mary Vanko
Dr. Mary Vanko
Dr. Jane Van Dis