I had hepatitis a over 12 years ago as an teenager, why are you not allowed to donate blood, when the virus is completyly out of your blood in a year?

David Miller
In brief: Hepatitis and blood
The red cross disqualifies anyone who has had any hepatitis (a, b, c, d or e) or jaundice after the age of 11.
Exceptions include non-viral causes of hepatitis or jaundice such as gilbert's disease. Presumably the reason is to cast a wide net over all cases of viral hepatitis to ensure not missing a case of non-a hepatitis.

In brief: Hepatitis and blood
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
David Miller
Here's a page that details the Red Cross's eligibility criteria, including hepatitis, jaundice and exposure to hepatitis. http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical-listing
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology
In brief: Likely other reason.
At this point in time, to my knowledge, hep a infection that has resolved is not an indication not to donate blood.
The immune system is effective and there is vaccination. However, you may have had another infection/issue, like hepatitis c which has no vaccine, and can be transmitted. Also, if you went to europe, you might have been exposed to "mad cow" disease, and cannot donate again.

In brief: Likely other reason.
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Visala Nanduri
In brief: True
Are you sure that is the reason?

In brief: True
Are you sure that is the reason?
Dr. Visala Nanduri
Dr. Visala Nanduri
Dr. Jonathan Jassey