Should I get a home sleep test or an in-lab test for adult obstructive sleep apnea?

In brief: Varies case by case

A sleep-lab overnight study gathers lots of information, but is very expensive, and tests the patient outside of his normal routine.
The home sleep study collects basic information, but is much cheaper, so can be done on many more people, plus it tests patients in their own beds. The decision is made case by case, but sometimes the cheaper study is done first, to see if it alone gives enough info.

In brief: Varies case by case

Dr. Sumeet Kumar
Neurology

In brief: HST

A home sleep study is most appropriate for a person in whom sleep apnea is strongly suspected and who does my have significant medial disorders such as copd, oxygenation problems, stroke, and heart disease.
It also is not appropriate if you are being assessed for symptoms that should be assessed with a video camera such as abnormal movements during sleep, sleep seizures, parasomnias, etc.

In brief: HST

Dr. Sumeet Kumar
Dr. Sumeet Kumar
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Home sleep study

I agree with dr. Kwok.
One more advantage of an "at-home" study is that it can be performed over several days which might help identify sleep apnea more accurately.

In brief: Home sleep study

I agree with dr. Kwok.
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard

In brief: Home Sleep Study

Many insurance companies now demand a HSS vs an in-lab study.
It costs a lot less and is much more comfortable and non-invasive for the patient. The HSS, though, is not as accurate.

In brief: Home Sleep Study

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Charles Lockhart
or as diagnostic
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Sleep Doc

Make sure you are evaluated by a board certified sleep doc.
Follow his/her recommendations.

In brief: Sleep Doc

Follow his/her recommendations.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia